[OSM-dev] osmarender patch - Better support for non-english/multi-lang areas

Tal tal.bav at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 17:58:29 GMT 2009

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 7:37 PM, Andy Allan <gravitystorm at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Tal <tal.bav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> 2. Support making one tag be exactly the same as another tag using the
>> following construct:
>>         name:he="hebrew text"
>>         name="$(name:he)"
>>   This is not full variable expansion, just the ability for tag A to
>> say: i have exactly the same value as tag B.
>
> No, no, no. A thousand times no. Please reconsider this, and maybe
> invent a new tag
>
> Name should be a string only a string and nothing but a string, not
> name = (string|processing directive). We've had this discussion before
> regarding name=__noname__ and the conclusion was to NOT DO THINGS LIKE
> THIS.
>
> Cheers,
> Andy

As I said before, I'm not keen on the $(xx) construct.
I immediately said I was ok with the new-tag solution, but it seemed
to me that more people in multi lingual areas (including myself) find
the $(xxx) version nicer, so that what I did.

I'll be perfectly content with a new tag, no name tag, and patched
renderers. And if that solution can be agreed upon I have no problem
to modify the patch.

Unfortunately I did not follow the __noname__ discussion, so I will
not question your conclusion. But I suspect that here the situation is
a little different, since the "name" tags in a multi language parts of
the maps are already broken, and should probably go away.