[OSM-dev] Announcing osmsucker.c

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Wed Mar 18 02:24:02 GMT 2009

Hi all,

On many requests I have created an osmparser.c that instead on real
files exclusively operates on stdin. Why would this benefit you? Most
multiprocessor systems do nothing with their second processor, so in
this case one processor can do bzip2 -d -c theplanet.osm.bz and the
other one can run osmsucker.c. This gives you a parser with a relative
easy to read output mechanism to convert the planet to a more suitable
format for bulk loading. Theoretically it could be faster, practically I
didn't see the difference (yet). By default it uses my (old) normalised
OSM schema.

Because I have designed a new storage model; newer version will probably
include this model.
http://repo.or.cz/w/handlerosm.git?a=blob;f=osmsucker.c;hb=HEAD

I was informed on the controversial meaning of the word suck in relation
to unix pipes. Never the less, the commasex^Hparatedvalues cu^Homing out
of this program are pretty harmless. To prevent viral infections I have
licensed the code under STD, STefan Delicensed, it allows you to do
anything with the code except; make war.

Stefan