[OSM-dev] planet.openstreetmap.org breakage

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Thu Mar 19 09:23:23 GMT 2009

Stefan de Konink wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Mar 2009, Shaun McDonald wrote:
>

>>> Isn't that a bit waste of resources?
>>>

>>  From a legal perspective no.
>>

> Please; why don't we just ignore all previous planets and create a
> new planet and start to produce daily (full) history? Where we dump our
> old history excluding Teleatlas data first.
>
> Nobody cares for aging planets from a perspective of usefulness, the use
> case for older planet is the recovery of history, thus provide history
> instead of older planets.

Osmosis will provide the capability to do this from 0.6 onwards.  If
disk space isn't an issue on the planet server I'll set it up as soon as
I get time after 0.6 goes live.  It has the ability to go back in time
and produce full history diffs for any time interval in the same way it
currently has the ability to produce delta diffs for any time interval.
Again, if disk space isn't an issue I can create them for the life of OSM.