[OSM-dev] GSoc Idea Statics Map API

Patrick Petschge Kilian osm at petschge.de
Tue Mar 24 09:35:37 GMT 2009

Hi all,

> I think what this essentialy means is that the content shall be
> delivered in the form of an image file ... well the  advantage that I
> see for a web designer would be that it would be much lighter option.
> For the implementation: I had thought that we would have to dynamically
> create an image from xml but we could also use one of the available
> rendering engines to create the image.
Mobilemap (at mobilemap.petschge.de) already sends suitably stiched
static images to the clients. The obvious problem with this approach is
that it scales a lot worse than just shipping prerendered tiles and
shift the burden of stitching and croping to the client. But for the
small number of mobile users on my site it works quite well.

HTH,
Patrick "Petschge" Kilian