[OSM-dev] GSoC: formalising knowledge in OSM

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 11:04:04 GMT 2009

2009/3/25 Radomír Černoch <radomir.cernoch at gmail.com>:
> Firstly create the initial ontology to support at
> least all official map elements.

Hi Radomír,

There's no such thing. In fact, the lack of a fixed/official ontology
is held as one of the key defining attributes of the success,
flexibility and scalability of OSM, so I'm not sure how well your
project will work in the long run. I could see you getting to the end
of your project and having a working system that is used here and
there, but isn't accepted by significant parts of the OSM community.

Some other project where a successful outcome to your summer leads to
wider acceptance of your code is probably a better idea.

Cheers,
Andy