[OSM-dev] GSoC Ideas

Paul Wicks pwicks86 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 07:38:54 GMT 2009

Milo, thanks for the links to the info. I'll be sure to give it a look.

Caching with WMS is something that, as far as I know is not common, If you
> can figure out a way of caching and write a proposal, please also offer it
> to the mentor group at www.osgeo.org, they would gladly help

Well, I was thinking that the generated static images of a given location
would need to be cached, both to increase response time on subsequent
requests and to cut down on the amount of processing power used on the
server that is serving the images. However, perhaps the map data itself
could be cached on the server, although from what Iván says, it sounds as
though doing this is probably not worth it.

Other than the OSM wiki and the links above, are there any other good
resources for getting up to speed on some of the concepts surrounding OSM
and mapping on computers?

Thanks for all the feedback so far,

-Paul Wicks