[OSM-dev] [OSM-talk] Introducing OpenStreetBrowser

Maarten Deen mdeen at xs4all.nl
Fri Mar 27 09:23:52 GMT 2009

Stephan Plepelits wrote:
> Hi Folks!
>
> Some of you might already have noticed the "OpenStreetBrowser", as I added
> it to the list of GSoC-Projects, and I've been already writing on a page in
> the OSM-Wiki for the last week.
>
> I had a little bit too much time in the last months, so I  started to write
> a web-application where you can "browse" the OSM-content in certain
> categories. This includes an own style with some thematic overlays. I'm
> quite excited about it, there are so many possibilities in the database.
> It's not finished yet, but I think of the current version of a usable beta
> (I just updated browser support, it's even working in IE6, though with some
> restrictions).
>
> So ... don't want to loose to many words, just give it a try:
> -> http://www.openstreetbrowser.org
> In the OSM-Wiki you find additional informations about the project:
> -> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OpenStreetBrowser

I think it's superb. I've been looking for something like this for some time
now and I know it's not easy, so it's just wonderful that someone has found
the time to do it.

Some comments though:
- If you select a category, the items only show up as icons on the map from
zoom 15. Placing markers at lower zoomlevels would also be very welcome.
- some categories are incomplete. Public transport stops only shows train
stations and not bus stops. That's probably because a bus stop is tagged as
highway=bus_stop
- shopping does not find anything in my area, although I have added shops.

Regards,
Maarten