[OSM-dev] country boundary polygons

sly (sylvain letuffe) liste at letuffe.org
Fri Mar 27 15:17:40 GMT 2009

On Friday 27 March 2009 15:57, Andy Deakin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a simple answer to the question 'what country is
> lat+long in?', and for this I need the country borders as polygons.

For the technical part, I had extremely good and fast (~0.1s) result with one
single postgres/postGIS query :
echo "select osm_id,name,admin_level from planet_osm_polygon where way &&
transform('SRID=4030;POINT(6.0333 45.7666)',900913) and
_ST_Contains(way,transform('SRID=4030;POINT(6.0333 45.7666)',900913));" |
psql gis
 osm_id |     name     | admin_level
--------+--------------+-------------
  -7407 | Haute-Savoie | 6
  -8655 | Rhône-Alpes  | 4
 -74368 | Cusy         | 8
(3 rows)

>  From [1] I see that I am not the only one.
;-) Forgot all about this

>  Has there been any progress
> made with this?

About what ?
The first step might be to feed the osm db : without boundaries, we've got
nothing. (see type=boundary or type=multipolygon)

In that part, I stumbed into the terrible truth : country boundaries are big,
france as a full relation export (with all ways and nodes) is ~30Mo osm data,
containing over 1800 members (thanks to our howfully numerous admin_level=8
admin division)

Still searching for solutions in the form of super-relation or else...

For the second step, I saw Marcus linked in the page you mentionned to country
specific speed limit and access restrictions. From there I think we can
either convert that in machine readable form and either tell all router
planners to make the good choice in absence of evidence OR construct a post
osm data feeder that will make those country specific things explicit.

--
sly
Sylvain Letuffe liste at letuffe.org
qui suis-je : http://slyserv.dyndns.org