[OSM-dev] Tiling the Planet and Missing Nodes

Stefan de Konink stefan at konink.de
Sat Mar 28 14:29:58 GMT 2009

Hi Ben,

Ben Supnik wrote:
> I wrote (yet another) small C program to split the planet XML into
> "tiles".  The only thing that I think is interesting about my tiler (vs.
> the exisging ones) is that it can run the whole planet on a 32-bit machine.*

How do you handle the LargeFile allocation? Because I tried mmaping on
some obscure 32 userspace valgrind 64 kerner lately, and that was prone
to failure.

> But...it appears that there are cases where a node has been deleted from
> the database while being referenced by a way.

Welcome in the fantastic world of OSM :D I thought had fixed all those
instances two days ago :) Cool you found another one.

>  From my last run, way id 4043882 references node 365476284 that is not
> present in the dump.  This is with planet version 090325.  Grep reveals
> that 365476284 is only present in an "nd" tag as part of the ref=
> statement. :-(
>
> My question is: what is the right interpretation of a missing node?
> Should I simply pretend the node reference does not exist (e.g. delete
> the vertex from the way)?

The idea with that situation is for ways:
- Download the way; and just reupload it, then it will be solved in the
next run (because the way download hides invisible nodes)

For relations:
- Download the relation; remove all nodes/ways/relations that you know
that don't exist. Reupload it; will you get a 200; job well done ;)

Stefan