[OSM-dev] database schema

Pierre-André Jacquod pjacquod at alumni.ethz.ch
Tue Mar 31 17:29:02 BST 2009

Hi,
After some mapping, I am starting to have a look at the programming side
of OSM. Just a question about the Database.

If I understood what I read under SVN (
http://svn.openstreetmap.org/sites/rails_port/db/migrate/  currently
Revision 14372) and the wiki
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Database_schema (despite out of date
warning), this is true that the nodes will still keep the key/val tag
within the node's table as text DB column, and will not have a separated
table / entry for that? (I am speaking with API 0.6 release, despite DB
is not strictly an API issue)

Or a change has not been yet committed?

By the way, would it be possible to setup the internet page in order to
see the date / time of file commit? As hint about the accuracy of the entry?

If yes, could someone give me a reason (except historic one?).

I am currently analyzing some osm-file entry (currently Switzerland) and
found some value that are huge and not making any sense (just erroneous
/ bogus text without meaning). A limitation to varchar (255 or some
greater) would not be better ?

Thanks
best regards
paj