[OSM-dev] bad pngs from mod_tile / renderd & meta files

jburns jzburns at gmail.com
Fri May 1 18:59:50 BST 2009

Hi,

I am having a problem in that the pngs being generated and returned by my
apache & renderd & mapnik process are not "proper" pngs in that they are
rejected by various file viewers as being malformed.

I have compiled, built and run renderd against the latest mapnik svn. I have
configured apache and renderd  gets invoked correctly to generate the meta
files. Typical renderd output is:

from the request: http://10.0.1.198/osm_tiles2/1/0/0.png

I see the renderd output:

Render fd(6) xml(Default), z(1), x(0), y(0)
META TILE 1 0-1 0-1
DONE TILE Default 1 0-1 0-1
Produced .meta: /var/lib/mod_tile/Default/1/0/0/0/0/0.meta

Furthermore, my postgres is being queried properly. Running
generate_image.py (ie, testing mapnik / osm.xml) works and produces
beautiful pngs.

Any ideas or tips where to start debugging this one?

Many thanks

John