[OSM-dev] Minute Diffs Broken

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Wed May 6 00:16:07 BST 2009

Ian Dees wrote:
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Brett Henderson <brett at bretth.com
> <mailto:brett at bretth.com>> wrote:
>
>     The second problem is that I don't always want all records in the
>     queue.  I'd still like to be able to break up records into time
>     intervals rather than grabbing everything available in the order
>     it was
>     logged.  However this mightn't be an issue in the central
>     database, it's
>     more of an issue in the distribution database.  So the main retrieval
>     daemon could just grab everything (or bound it by an object count
>     limit)
>     and dump into the distribution database where time-based chunks
>     could be
>     extracted.
>

> Forgive me for injecting into this conversation part-way through, but
> would it make sense to offer an HTTP stream of the complete contents
> of all changesets as they are closed and applied to the database?
How do you mean exactly?  For it to be reliable it needs to be persisted
somewhere.  And that presumably means using the existing database in
some way.  And that is the problem we're trying to solve :-)

> To reduce load on the server, the stream could be proxied or mirrored
> to other machines.
In a sense that's what osmosis is doing.  Granted it's not a stream as
such, but a stream approach implies a queue per client which isn't
somewhere I want to go just yet.  At least not until I get the current
system working properly.