[OSM-dev] Finding water vs. land

Tels nospam-abuse at bloodgate.com
Sat May 9 13:46:50 BST 2009

Moin,

my renderer downloads data for tiles (currently in the 0.1° grid) and
then renderes these.

This works fine, except for coastlines, where I have two problems:

* The coastlines are just open lines, but I need closed areas for
rendering
* When I download data in the middle of the ocean, no coastline crosses
the tile and I do not know that the current tile must be filled
completely with water

That there is some coastline data for mapnik, but I don't quite
understand how that process works.

So how would I:

* figure out that a certain area is water-covered?
* get a complete, closed coast line (possible for the entire world?)

and both best via some HTTP request :)

All the best,

Tels

--
 Signed on Sat May  9 14:43:52 2009 with key 0x93B84C15.
 View my photo gallery: http://bloodgate.com/photos

 "I'm not a vegetarian, but I eat animals who are"

  -- Groucho Marx