[OSM-dev] How is the tile-index implemented/used?

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu May 14 12:06:11 BST 2009

Hi,

> But how do I know which ways or nodes are in the tile
> "15/17192/10659.png"? Well, I took a closer look at the database scheme
> and noticed the "tile" column in the "ways" table.

The tile column in the ways table has nothing to do with tiles as
rendered on the map; it is just a low-level indexing helper column.

> After reading a (er,
> no, THE) German OpenStreetMap - book, I came across this little article
> on the wiki:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Quadtile

The relevant pages are 154/155 (2nd ed.) or 110/111 (1st ed.), and
various code examples are on this wiki page:

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Slippy_map_tilenames

Bye
Frederik