[OSM-dev] RFC: map call to return deleted elements

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat May 23 01:00:59 BST 2009

Hi,

SteveC wrote:
> The SQL and filtering to get all the nodes in a bbox, then see if they
> were still actually within the bbox, sort, etc... was non-trivial.

The main difficulty at that time probably was the SQL to return the
"latest version only" of each object. Matt won't have that problem
because even if he wants to return deleted objects, he can ignore the
history tables - we have the deleted objects in the current tables as
well. (Plus, you didn't have people with a degree in aeronautics. And
very few Germans.)

Someone suggested in the run-up for the 0.6 changeover that we could
drop the deleted objects from current because he didn't care whether he
gets a 404 or a 410 return code. It sounded ok at the time but I guess
that it this were done, returning deleted objects would indeed be a pain.

Bye
Frederik