[OSM-dev] RFC: map call to return deleted elements

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Sat May 23 19:42:19 BST 2009

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de> wrote:
> Matt Amos wrote:
>> this "deleted map" call is supposed to be to help editors better
>> support pre-upload updating and undeletion, both of which are
>> short-term things. rewinding through the history would be possible,
>> but more difficult than the "time machine" feature, by getting the
>> history of each element involved. i leave this as an exercise for the
>> client ;-)
>
> I thing the api call is something that we definitely need to prevent
> conditions we don't want to be into.

the server already prevents these conditions - the problem is that it
comes as a surprise to clients when their uploads fail :-)

> The point is again, do you want to push
> the decision making to the client or do it for it.

this sort of conflict merging is better done on the client, since the
client can ask the user directly. it also keeps the server simpler and
retains more resources for processing calls that don't conflict.

> If you want to give
> editors more knowledge, it is feasible, but it might be a good thing to
> actually make a flowchart or sequence diagram how an actual edit works. (for
> bots, smaller clients, trying to show the wheel invention ;)

i think a flowchart would be a good idea. but it might be even more
confusing, given how many paths there are through the various API
calls ;-)

cheers,

matt