[OSM-dev] JSON/GeoJSON output format for 0.6 api

Wed May 27 14:20:26 BST 2009

Ed Loach wrote:

> Is there anywhere though that z13 Yahoo imagery is of any use?

Sure. It's ok for lakes, woods, built-up areas, that sort of thing.
I'm just looking at somewhere near Rhayader and it's pretty useful.

> I like Shaun's suggestion of defaulting to z17 and let users zoom
> out.

So would I, if I too lived somewhere with more people than sheep. The
problem with that is when (say) you want to edit a lake somewhere in
mid-Wales, you navigate to it using View as per usual, then click
"Edit", and that zooms in to somewhere with absolutely no data. At
which point you send a message to talk@ saying "where has the data
gone I blame Potlatch pls to revert the changeset omgwtfbbq" - I'm not
joking - and we all get a headache.

 From a usability point of view the View and Edit tabs should be
equivalent - i.e. wherever you're viewing, clicking 'Edit' preserves
the bbox.

We currently have a JS alert at z1-z10 saying "zoom in to edit map",
and we italicise the tab to show that it's not clickable. (It should
really be z1-z12, I'm not sure why it isn't.)

This is good. If it were context-sensitive depending on the amount of
data in the area, it would be wonderful.

cheers
Richard