[OSM-dev] finding OSM users by their home locations

Emilie Laffray emilie.laffray at gmail.com
Sun May 31 09:26:02 BST 2009

Hello,

I guess it all depends on whether the users have accepted to make public
their location. I am not sure whether the site allows to decide whether
to make public or not your location.
Personally, while I understand your enthusiasm, I would find annoying to
receive a pre-formatted message asking me to do more for Open Street
Map. I am more than happy to help people in the same area as me, and I
actually did contact someone editing my hometown for that very purpose.
But I would get twitchy if it was done a mass scale.
This is a hobby project for me and I would consider your practice to be
a bit like bullying. But that's just me.
However, it varies from people to people and if they choose to make
their location public I see no reason not to send them an email. I just
wouldn't like it. The key thing is that you have to be careful about
privacy in this case.

Emilie Laffray