[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql tile expiry freaks me out

sly (sylvain letuffe) liste at letuffe.org
Thu Nov 5 17:11:47 GMT 2009

On jeudi 5 novembre 2009, Steve Hill wrote:
> The diff updates really are the killer for me - they are way more I/O
> intensive than a non-slim-mode planet import.  I'm using reasonably meaty
> machines, but the last slim-mode planet import I did took days...

Same thing here.

An hour update diff (europe only) takes 15 minutes on average with a 1MB/s
only disk I/O, so I strongly suspect access time is the key.

I suspect having main memory as large as the DB would help, and since that's
gone be rather expensive, either switch to SSD disk or have a RAID0 array
(which is what I'm doing with a straight x2 time factor)

But I'll be happy to hear feedback of an SSD setup if someone has one

--
sly
Sylvain Letuffe liste at letuffe.org
qui suis-je : http://slyserv.dyndns.org