[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql hangs.

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 19:55:52 GMT 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Richard Ive <richard at xanox.net> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've had an open street map database set up on a server for a while now.
> I've just got two new servers that are much, much more powerful (16GB Ram.
> Two quad cores..). What I'm trying to do is have the database on one
> machine, and mapnik on the other.

Nice machine.

Two things: you did tune postgresql a bit, at least increasing the
shared buffers to several hundred MB, right?

Secondly, you can get much more information about what's going on by
logging into the DB and doing:

select * from pg_stat_activity;

Then you can see what it's doing. IIRC it's not unusual for loading a
whole days diff to take several hours. If you're really worried, use
strace to attach to the process and verify it's not doing anything (it
should be reading/writing like crazy).

Hope this helps,