[OSM-dev] likenesses

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 12:54:34 BST 2009

2009/10/1 David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com>:
> On 01/10/2009 03:25, SteveC wrote:
>> I want to revive a very old idea - tag equivalences.
>
> I would like to go further than Steve proposes, but I understand it is a
> hard sell to the anarchist wing of OSM while being welcome to the
> conformist wing. But I really think what I outline below treads a middle
> way. I'm absolutely not proposing to restrict anyone's freedom to add
> new tags or values.

I don't see what your persauation has to do with anything, I'm looking
at this from a practical point of view, it's easier to do translations
in the editor and then have the editor do the processing into a
pre-defined set of tags, rather than having 1000s of servers doing the
translations every time they have to parse the data, that's crazy and
complete waste of CPU time.