[OSM-dev] Quantifying

Jeffrey Warren warren at mit.edu
Thu Oct 1 21:57:06 BST 2009

Hi all - I tried to do a rough analysis (for an article I'm writing) of the
composition of an API response by character count. If anyone knows more
about this or has opinions or ideas for better (but lightweight) means of
quantifying this, i'd love to hear them.

> I’ve been wondering how much of the data transferred by the OpenStreetMap
> API is actual geometric data as opposed to timestamp and author data. I ran
> some rough numbers on a typical API response (in JSON, not XML, though these
> are relative measurements, so it shouldn’t matter too much). The file I
> examined is here: dr5ru0.json<http://unterbahn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/dr5ru0.json> but
> my count is by number of characters and I did include formatting.

Graph and blog post here: it'd be nice to have comments and answers posted
here, so they're archived:

http://unterbahn.com/2009/10/composition-of-a-openstreetmap-api-responses/
Thanks!
Jeff