[OSM-dev] Current planet file is broken

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Thu Oct 8 13:35:02 BST 2009

Hi,

Frederik Ramm wrote:
>     the current planet file,
> is a valid XML file because it contains this:

I meant to say "is NOT a valid XML file".

I'm creating a fixed planet file for downloading but it will take a
while before it is available for download (Grant, it's in my $HOME on
old-dev, fixed-planet.osm.bz2, but has only 1.3 GB so far...).

If you have already downloaded it and want to fix it,

1. get http://www.remote.org/frederik/tmp/fix.gz

2. if you have an *unzipped* planet file then you can fix it in a second:

zcat fix.gz|dd if=- conv=notrunc of=current-planet.osm bs=10
seek=13326691774

3. if you only have the original bz2 compressed planet file, then do this:

(bzcat current-planet.bz2|head -1992194829; zcat fix.gz)|bzip2 >
fixed-planet.bz2

Bye
Frederik