[OSM-dev] OSM tile server: concurrency of rendering + updating

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Oct 21 12:07:14 BST 2009

Hi,

    this is mostly a question to Jon Burgess  I guess but I'm asking on
dev because I figure that others might also be interested. On the main
OSM tile server, do you apply the diffs while you render tiles at the
same time, and have you performed any PostGIS magic to ensure that tile
rendering still has priority while diffs are being applied?

On my setup, I have resorted to using two separate databases (on
separate machines) in order to be able to update one while the other
renders tiles; doing both at the same time just slowed down tile
rendering to a crawl. Now this was not fancy hardware but a reasonably
modern quadcore processor and SATA disks - do fat RAM & fast disks make
the difference between possible and impossible?

Bye
Frederik