[OSM-dev] Osmosis, Changesets, Diffs (replicate) and general questions

Lars Francke lars.francke at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 12:10:44 GMT 2009

>> 2)
>> It seems as if none of the diffs contain the changesets. I may have
>> missed something here but the only way to get these seems to be the
>> weekly dump of all changesets or by using the API? As I use the
>> changeset tags for OSMdoc I'd be very interested why this is the case
>> and if there are any plans to change this.
>>
> I'd like to include full changeset information in diffs but it's not
> trivial.  I'm not sure if I'll ever get to this personally.  I'd love to
> see somebody take it on though.

I'll have a look at it but I don't want to get your hopes up :)
One more question: The planet.osm contains all the changesets, the
diffs don't. Are both of these 'dumps' generated with Osmosis?

>> 3)
>> * My initial import of OSMdoc data is done using a custom program.
>> * The following data adjustments are done using the diff-files, the
>> database (in a state as it was _before_ the diff), osmosis and an
>> osmosis plugin
>> * The initial import of OSM data is done using osmosis (--write-pgsql)
>>
>> As the minute-replicate diffs overlap (at least they used to do) the
>> planet.osm dump it is best (..at least it used to be ;-) ) to create a
>> "consistent" dump using the planet.osm and gradually applying diffs
>> (using --apply-change) as there is no harm in applying changes that
>> are already present in the planet.osm. What is the best way to do
>> this? I hope I made myself clear, I don't know how to explain it
>> better.
>>
> I'm not sure I fully understand.  As you've stated, take a planet dump
> and apply some overlapping diffs in sequence until you reach a point
> after the planet creation completion time.  Just note that the new
> minute replication diffs may not work with the --apply-change task just
> yet because the new replication diffs may contain multiple versions of a
> single entity.  The replication diffs are still experimental and tested
> with all osmosis functionality.

I think you understood correctly. I guess I'll have to check the
apply-change task then. To see if it works with multiple versions or
what would have to be changed for it to work.

>> Thanks a lot for bearing with me. I hope someone can answer some of my
>> questions :)
>>
> Hope that helps :-)

That helped _a lot_! Thank you very much.

Lars