[OSM-dev] Planet File Change Request

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Sep 1 23:32:36 BST 2009

On 01/09/09 22:37, Mark Granger wrote:

> I wish to request a change in the way the weekly planet files get
> generated. The planet files are supposed to contain a weekly snapshot of
> the OSM database. They are generated during a period of time during
> which users are able to make changes to the OSM database. This leaves
> the weekly planet files in an incomplete state. I ran into this when I
> wrote my own planet file parser and found that a few hundred or thousand
> ways in each file referenced non-existant nodes. There are probably also
> some nodes that have bad locations and some ways that reference the
> wrong nodes but I am not able to detect these issues with my parser.
> I asked about this problem on the forums and was told the following by Ldp:
> "This is expected behaviour from the weekly planet dump. There is no
> guarantee of integrity on any data that was added to the OSM db after
> the time the planet file generation has started.

Since we went to Postgres with the 0.6 api the planet dump should be a
consistent snapshot of the database. If it isn't then there is a bug
that needs to be dealt with.

I suspect what you are seeing is not a result of an inconsistent
snapshot however, but simply of corrupt data (probably created before
the 0.6 api) that exists in the database.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/