[OSM-dev] Planet File Change Request

Matt Amos zerebubuth at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 23:40:29 BST 2009

On 9/1/09, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de> wrote:
> Mark Granger schreef:
>> I asked about this problem on the forums and was told the following by
>> Ldp:
>>
>> "This is expected behaviour from the weekly planet dump. There is no
>> guarantee of integrity on any data that was added to the OSM db after
>> the time the planet file generation has started.
>
> Maybe a N00B remark from my side; if a transaction is made to dump. How
> does PostgreSQL behave then? Will it also have no guarantee?

it already does the dump in a transaction (in fact, all postgres
statements execute in a transaction. but anyway...). the question is
whether setting the isolation level to serializable might make a
difference [1], and whether this would have an adverse effect on the
running time.

cheers,

matt

[1] http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/transaction-iso.html