[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql slim mode, postgis, and hard disk spindles

sylvain letuffe liste at letuffe.org
Thu Sep 3 11:24:17 BST 2009

Frederik Ramm wrote:

> Hi,
>
>     has anyone experimented with different PostGIS setups on a machine
> that runs osm2pgsql with minutely or hourly "slim mode" updates and has
> multiple (in my case only 2) hard disks?

I do have this setup (2 physical disks)
My first attempts were to move around postgis data to try to increase
performance but without much result. (and introducing admin complexity). I'm
now runing a conventionnal setup at postgis side, but have moved the datas
on to a RAID 0 stripping linux software raid (without any fs block or
fs/raid block tweaks) and every things has speed up a lot both on initial
and hourly imports. (as well as queries)

My next step would be to conduct tests on a larger disk number raid0 array
(or hope for ssd disk prices to lower :-) )

--
sly