[OSM-dev] osm2pgsql slim mode, postgis, and hard disk spindles

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Sep 5 21:43:44 BST 2009

Hi,

Stephan Knauss wrote:
>> scenario, and then applied the 20090819-20090820 daily diff with
>> osm2pgsql --slim in a number of different configurations:
>> "plain" with -C4000.......................... 262 minutes
>
> Can you post some details of your setup, please? My machine takes about
> double the time for a 24h update.

A basic Ubuntu Jaunty system with standard osm2pgsql from SVN, basic
PostGIS tuning as per wiki pages (shared_buffers=448MB,
maintenance_work_mem=256MB, logging and ssl and auto-vacuuming disabled).

The hardware was an i7-920 with 12 GB RAM and two 1.5 GB Seagate
Barracuda disks - a standard Hetzner EQ6 system.

No special performance tuning or tweaking, but interested in hearing
what others have tried with their PostGIS as well.

Bye
Frederik