[OSM-dev] Feed reader stupidities with our Atom feeds

Hugh Barnes list.osm at hughbris.com
Tue Sep 8 13:45:53 BST 2009

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 15:35:26 +0000
Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason <avarab at gmail.com> wrote:

> I use Liferea as my feed reader and I discovered that when I double
> click on a feed link I get the osmChange XML.
>
> This is because Liferea is using one variable internally to keep track
> of the <link> href for each feed entry. When confronted with multiple
> <link> elements will overwrite this variable each time it sees a new
> one. So it always ends up using the last <link>.
>
> Here's a snip from one of our feeds for reference:
>
>     <link type="text/html"
> href="http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/2395774"
> rel="alternate"/>
>     <link
> href="http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/changeset/2395774"
> type="application/osm+xml" rel="alternate"/> <link
> href="http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.6/changeset/2395774/download"
> type="application/osmChange+xml" rel="alternate"/>

I think that might have been the markup I gave you when you put them
together.

> I thought I'd move the the text/html link to the end to work around
> this. But that might trip up some other feed readers which implement a
> different flavor of stupid.

Feed readers (when I last tested for them a few years back) implement
all kinds of flavours of stupid. They make web browser testing seem like
a birthday present. This sounds like a bug to be logged with the Liferea project.

All you can really do for feeds (as with web IMHO) is throw up your
hands and say "sod it, I'm following the standard". Which you've done.

Still your workaround is probably harmless, as you are asking us to
test for you. Ahem …

> So can you (yes you!) please test our feeds in your favorite feed
> reader and see how this (and other things) work or don't work and

I use Liferea too (only because Akregator keeps crashing), but I'll
check on Feedreader for Windows tomorrow @ work.

The other biggie is maybe Google Reader. I can't do that for you, but
thousands can. :~)

> Here's an example feed to play with:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/%C3%86var%20Arnfj%C3%B6r%C3%B0%20Bjarmason/edits/feed

Cheers