[OSM-dev] Whitespace in tag-keys

Thomas Wood grand.edgemaster at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 22:52:54 BST 2009

2009/9/13 Martin Lesser <ml-osm-dev at bettercom.de>:
> I did not find explicit informations about this issue in the wiki so I'm
> wondering whether whitespace in keys is a "should not" or a "must not".
>
> What's the recommended action if one detects tags like eg.
>
>  http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/275671906 (k="is in")
>  http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/447654517 (k=" type")
>  http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/38170057 (k="  " v="residential")
>  http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/39240565 (k="" v="Gweyn Hughs Road")

If people want to create data that's not particularly useful, that's
up to them. As you see, the server has no qualms about spaces in tags
(either key or value), and neither should clients have such issues
with them.

> A second question about ways/relations with less than two nodes/members:
> Is there any reason for these? Eg.
>
>  http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/10211008
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Martin

This looks like an issue with Merkaartor allowing ways with single
nodes to be formed if nodes are consecutively deleted from the way.
Otoh, it may be user error, intending to delete the way but not doing
so.

--
Regards,
Thomas Wood