[OSM-dev] "Deep History" App

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Tue Sep 15 20:54:02 BST 2009

On 15/09/09 19:29, Ian Dees wrote:

>     Planet won't help as it doesn't have history, and if you do try
>     scraping the history from the api you will find yourself blocked
>     as soon as I notice...
>

> When someone changes a way by moving/deleting/adding nodes there's no
> way to see what it looked like beforehand?

Sure there is - do lots of API queries and piece together what it looked
like. That's fine on a one off basis - what isn't fine is trying to
extract the history of everything by repeatedly querying the API.

> That's disappointing. Am I the only one that cares about this? With
> permission I'd be happy to try and write something for the
> openstreetmap.org <http://openstreetmap.org> site to make this feasible
> and not kill the API frontend servers.

Well if you can find a way to add an extra API method to do what you
want that is efficient enough to deploy then that's fine.

Equally if you want to extend planetdump to be able to do a full history
dump then that's fine and we could probably arrange to run it from time
to time.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)