[OSM-dev] Excessive version count

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 14:10:19 BST 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 5:16 AM, Jonathan Bennett
<openstreetmap at jonno.cix.co.uk> wrote:
> Ian Dees wrote:
>
>> Perhaps the API
>> should ignore (i.e. not increase rev #'s) changes that don't actually
>> change anything?
>
> The idea isn't a bad one, but the implementation would need to be slick
> as to avoid bogging down the server -- it would double the number of DB
> queries per upload.

It shouldn't have to perform more DB queries. The changeset already
has to be in memory (or at least available) at the time of changeset
close. Before the changeset is actually applied to the database, some
sort of collation could occur which would knock out all node changes
if they don't result in any change.

I think I agree with Stefan, though. Perhaps it should result in an
error: the client shouldn't be sending no-op changes to the server. If
we do that, then the docs should be updated to reflect that.