[OSM-dev] How do I do make shaded area overlays with openlayers or something similar?

Steven te Brinke s.tebrinke at student.utwente.nl
Wed Sep 23 10:40:33 BST 2009

OpenLayers has nice support for vectors. It supports many formats, you
can easily add WKT geometries for example. This is the best way to go if
you want to add simple or dynamic overlays.
The postcode finder you mentioned uses a tiled layer. Such a layer can
be rendered using Mapnik. I have a nice example in [1]: Google Hybrid
like, but with OSM data on top of their aerial images (unfortunately my
site is Dutch, but it shows the idea).

Cheers,
Steven

[1]