[OSM-dev] shp2osm.pl

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Sep 30 00:58:01 BST 2009

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 7:35 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Peter Körner <osm-lists at mazdermind.de>wrote:
>
>>  > And I believe it has
>> > been suggested to use boundary relations rather than polygons in cases
>> > where there are a lot of overlapping boundaries.
>>
>> Yes, I'ts not good to have overlapping ways - they are a mess to edit
>> and they can be constructed by relations, as well.
>>

> I've been hoping someone would strike up a conversation with me on a good
> algorithm to find and relation-ize overlapping boundary ways. I would love
> to implement this...

Can we assume the shared ways use shared nodes?  I was planning on making
that assumption, because I believe it's true for the particular data I'm
trying to import.  Without that assumption, it's probably too much work for
the time I have.

In any case, I have to worry about converting the multipolygons from the
shapefile I have first.  I'm pretty sure there are some, in the standard
"holes go clockwise" format, and shp2osm doesn't handle that as far as I can
tell.