[OSM-dev] GSoC Project : Routing app with Group connect

amit singh singh.amit104 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 10 21:30:42 BST 2010

Hi,

Best suitable path - fastest route

 Also the approximate time for travel will be computed. What method?

In graph theory, the *shortest path problem* is the problem of finding
a path between two vertices (or nodes) such that the sum of the weights of
its constituent edges is minimized. An example is finding the quickest way
to get from one location to another on a road map; in this case, the
vertices represent locations and the edges represent segments of road and
are weighted by the time needed to travel that segment.
Approximate time -- considering traffic factors and also the weights of the
segment will just be an estimation. I propose to multiply this weights by a
factor f ( f>=0) depending on the speed of user.
Speed of user can be approximated using rate of change in his position, thus
value of f is computed . f>1 if user has speed less than the
(weight_of_segment)*(length_of_segment).f<1 if user travels at a slower
speed. thus weight*f will give more accurate time for travel.