[OSM-dev] git.openstreetmap.org

Tom Hughes tom at compton.nu
Wed Apr 21 10:28:37 BST 2010

On 21/04/10 09:47, Chris Browet wrote:

> I've seen that the rails_port has (quite silently) moved to a OSM owned
> git repository. I'm a bit surprised I didn't hear more of that (or maybe
> I wasn't listening at the right place). But whatever...

It only happened about 24 hours ago! Give us a chance and we'll get all
the details sorted out and make some announcements...

> The actual question is what is the status of this git repo. Is this more
> or less private or open to the other OSM projects?

That repo is the master repo for the live site and is only likely to be
open to a limited number of committers. The nature of a DVCS is that it
doesn't need to be open to everybody as people can just fork and then
ask for changes to be pulled in to the live site.

If you're asking whether other projects can have repos on that server
then we may consider it for some other core tools but I'd like to let
what we have settle down a bit first - if nothing else I need to get
used to git.

I don't see it becoming the kind of vast dumping ground for all and
sundry that the svn repo is - once again that isn't really the spirit of
a DVCS anyway.

> Is there (or do plan to) put a gitweb or similar on it?

I take you didn't actually look at http://git.openstreetmap.org/ then?

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)