[OSM-dev] Getting admin_level=* from relations to render properly

Iván Sánchez Ortega ivan at sanchezortega.es
Wed Apr 28 09:10:20 BST 2010

El 28/04/2010 9:27, John Smith escribió:
> Ok, here's the way and here's the relation and here's the rendering,
> please explain why it's not rendering the relation how ways nearby
> render:

> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/80372
> http://osm.org/go/uTRwIeeW-

Looks good to me.

>> Where a tagged boundary way is part of n boundary relations, you
>> will see n+1 overlapping lines in the render. IMO this is ugly, and
>> you get no sense of the actual admin levels involved.

"Ugly" gets short. The overlapping dashed lines just look horrible.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=41.3067&lon=-3.1946&zoom=12

> That may be what's happening, in which case that's pointing out
> where we need to look, we should structure the SQL query to return
> only one way, with the highest admin_level.

I don't think so.

I'd place my wages on a bot. Download the planet, check topology of
admin_level ways and relations, calculate the non-needed bits, upload
changes.

Cheers,