[OSM-dev] New OSM binary fileformat implementation.

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Fri Apr 30 00:50:42 BST 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 10:15 PM, Scott Crosby <scrosby06 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>  Probably the most important TODO is packaging and fixing the build
>>> system.
>>> I have no almost no experience with ant and am unfamiliar with java
>>> packaging practices, so I'd like to request help/advice on ant and
>>> suggestions on
>>> how to package the common parsing/serializing code so that it can be
>>> re-used across different programs.
>>>

>> I suggest to ask on osmosis-dev, an get your new code into the Osmosis
>> trunk quickly so people can play with it.
>>

> I think it would be prudent to get suggestions from the OSM community
> first. Once the code is in osmosis, our ability to make
> compatability-breaking changes to the format will be reduced.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for all the great work.  It will be a little while (at least several
days) before I can take a look at what you've done.

Initial thoughts from my end (as main developer of Osmosis) is that it would
be best to keep it separate until you've let it evolve somewhat.  If you can
develop it as a plugin for now it will let us (ie. Osmosis core, and osmosis
bin format) remain independent until it matures and stabilises.  If it has a
wide enough audience (ie. useful to more than a small handful of people)
then we can look at incorporating it into the core of Osmosis.  At that
point it will need to meet the current Osmosis code quality checks (eg.
checkstyle), have unit tests, and pass a code review.  None of that is too
difficult, but I need to ensure it doesn't add a maintenance burden.

I can possibly help with some ant and ivy advice in terms of how to
incorporate it with Osmosis.  It should be possible to make the existing
osmosis library an Ivy dependency of your library.  It might make sense to
split your library in two parts, the generic re-usable code, and the Osmosis
specific tasks.  But I'm only speculating until I understand what you've
done.

Longer term I'm open to suggestions on how Osmosis should incorporate new
features like this.  It may actually make more sense to pull some existing
features out of Osmosis and make them plugins also, or it may be simpler to
just keep adding to the core.  But these questions are more suited to the
osmosis-dev list.

Brett