[OSM-dev] New OSM binary fileformat implementation.

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Sun Aug 1 01:35:39 BST 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 2:26 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> Scott, others,
>

> Scott Crosby wrote:
>
>> I would like to announce code implementing a binary OSM format that
>> supports the full semantics of the OSM XML.
>>

> [...]
>

>  The changes to osmosis are just some new tasks to handle reading and
>> writing the binary format.
>>

> [...]
>
> This was 3 months ago.
>
> What's the status of this project? Are people actively using it? Is it
> still being developed? Can the Osmosis tasks be used in the new Osmosis code
> architecture (see over on osmosis-dev) that Brett has introduced with 0.36?

I'm curious about this as well.  The main reason for me introducing the new
project structure was to facilitate the integration of new features like
this.  They're relatively easy to add (some Ant and Ivy foo required ...),
and can be removed later on if they're not maintained or people lose
interest in them.  If there's a demand for this binary format I'm happy to
help integrate it as a new project into the existing codebase.

I believe the existing version of this binary OSM format is implemented as a
fork in a GIT repo so I suspect it will take some effort to update it to run
against 0.36.  The code hasn't changed a lot, but the build processes have.

Brett