[OSM-dev] New OSM binary fileformat implementation.

Brett Henderson brett at bretth.com
Sun Aug 1 12:39:26 BST 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 7:34 PM, Erik Johansson <erjohan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 2:35 AM, Brett Henderson <brett at bretth.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 2:26 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Scott, others,

> >> [...]
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> This was 3 months ago.
> >>
> >> What's the status of this project? Are people actively using it? Is it
> >> still being developed? Can the Osmosis tasks be used in the new Osmosis
> code
> >> architecture (see over on osmosis-dev) that Brett has introduced with
> 0.36?
> >
> > I'm curious about this as well.  The main reason for me introducing the
> new
> > project structure was to facilitate the integration of new features like
> > this.  They're relatively easy to add (some Ant and Ivy foo required
> ...),
> [...]
> > The code hasn't changed a lot, but the build processes have.
>

> Well that's one of the thing Scott said he had no clue on how to do.
> From Scotts mail:
>

> Scott Crosby:
> > // TODO's
>
> > Probably the most important TODO is packaging and fixing the build
> system.
> > I have no almost no experience with ant and am unfamiliar with java
> > packaging practices, so I'd like to request help/advice on ant and
> suggestions on
> > how to package the common parsing/serializing code so that it can be
> > re-used across different programs.

I'll help incorporate this into the rest of Osmosis.  There's a few things
to work through though.

   - Is there a demand for the binary format in its current incantation?
   I'm not keen to incorporate it if nobody will use it.
   - Can the code be managed in the main OSM Subversion repo instead of GIT?
   - Is any code reuse between Osmosis and other applications required?  If
   only the Osmosis tasks will be managed in the Osmosis project and a
   component with common functionality managed elsewhere then I need to know
   how the common component will be managed and published for consumption in
   Osmosis.

Brett