[OSM-dev] New OSM binary fileformat implementation.

Scott Crosby scrosby at cs.rice.edu
Tue Aug 3 14:37:05 BST 2010

On Sun, Aug 1, 2010 at 6:39 AM, Brett Henderson <brett at bretth.com> wrote:

> I'll help incorporate this into the rest of Osmosis.  There's a few things
> to work through though.

I don't have a lot of time to work with this, but I can split up my
working branch (which includes several unrelated changes) into
separate orthogonal pieces. Git is *VERY* good at this. That would
simplify integration.

> Is there a demand for the binary format in its current incantation?  I'm not
> keen to incorporate it if nobody will use it.

I think it would be used in the mkgmap splitter, if available.

> Can the code be managed in the main OSM Subversion repo instead of GIT?

Yes. I use git personally, but there's very good SVN integration.

> Is any code reuse between Osmosis and other applications required?

Yes.

   The *.proto files must be shared with other applications that use
the binary format, including C/Java/Python/.net/....

    I wrote some java parser code that is intended to be shared across
the other Java osmosis applications. (Eg, I'm using it in my splitter
changes.) in crosby/binary/file and crosby/binary/*.java

    I suggest that all of this be put in a separate library along with
jamesmikedupont's C/C++ code.

Scott