[OSM-dev] aviation maps?

Ákos Maróy akos at maroy.hu
Wed Aug 11 18:12:52 BST 2010

Ivan,

On 11/08/10 18:52, Iván Sánchez Ortega wrote:
> El día Wednesday 11 August 2010 18:25:39, Julio Costa Zambelli dijo:
>> We talked about an OpenAeroMap with Ivan Sanchez back in Amsterdam
>> (SoTM2009),
>
> And I've still got the idea somewhere in my notebooks. I haven't forgotten
> about that :-)
>
> I do think that OSM-derived aerial navigational charts are worth it, but we
> need to get in touch with the people who would actually use it. How do we
> reach out to GPS-hungry airplane pilots?

well, here, I'm one of them :) and actually there are quite a few of us
even in the humble country of Hungary.

also, please note that there are a number of such software solutions
available already for the iPhone and Android, for which one has to pay.
the 'official' Garmin & similar branded products are extremely
expensive, so there is a clear market gap here that can be filled with
generic GPS-enabled smart phones.

> Approach charts are tricky, because they depend on each airport's
> configuration, which depends on the wind direction. Would make a fun case for
> dual caching, though :-)

as said in my previous e-mail, each airport has a number of approach
charts, only one of which makes sense to show at any one time. also,
there is usually a taxi chart for when the plane is already on the ground.

for example, look here for charts for the aiport of Pula, Croatia:
http://www.airport-pula.hr/component/content/article/71.html , e.g.
arrival charts in this rar file:
http://lin7.mojsite.com/~airport/templates/airport/AIP/LDPL%20Arrivals.rar
or also the docking chart, etc.

thus airports can only be mapped if there is a possibility to have
several maps for a small region.

then again, at first point just creating wider area VFR airspace maps,
with TMA airspace regions, restricted regions, waypoints, VOR/NDB
navigation points would be already a great start. tackle the airport
issue later :)

Akos