[OSM-dev] Applying outer way attributes to multi-polygons

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Aug 14 10:52:29 BST 2010

2010/8/2 Ben Supnik <bsupnik at xsquawkbox.net>:
> - If the outer multipolygon only has one way, then __maybe_- that way might
> contain all of the attributes I care about?  This second one makes me
> nervous because I could have a state park way where the boundary of the park
> is a water way with an island in it...the island (inner way) might be meant
> to cut a hole in some attributes (like water) but not others (like park).

I think that most logical would be to

1. put tags for the whole (e.g. park) on the outer way
2. put tags for the object (outer minus inner) in the relation.

1. is eventually requiring partially duplicate ways for cases where
otherwise several outer ways would be needed (tagging different
area-features and way-features to an open way might cause problems)

2. might cause problems when the outer way and the relation have
incompatible tags.

cheers,
Martin