[OSM-dev] invalid geometry in planet_polygon

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Aug 24 07:43:56 BST 2010

Hi,

Stephan Knauss wrote:
> I tried some queries filtered with st_within and got a geos exception.
> I think it's caused by some geometries not being valid.

Yes, of course, there are hundreds of thousands of invalid geometries.
Use

http://tools.geofabrik.de/osmi/debug.html?view=multipolygon&lon=7.86328&lat=49.49239&zoom=5&overlays=invalid_geometry_hull,duplicate_ways,intersections,intersection_lines,ring_not_closed_hull,ring_not_closed,unconnected_end_nodes,touching_inner_rings_hull,touching_inner_rings,role_mismatch_hull,role_mismatch,duplicate_tags_hull,duplicate_tags,multipolygons_type_is_boundary,type_is_boundary,ways,role_markers,way_end_nodes,way_nodes

to see them ;)

> Is this a problem with the import of osm2pgsql or a problem with the data?

The API doesn't (and can't) prevent them, and osm2pgsql makes no efforts
(and couldn't really) correct them.

Bye
Frederik