[OSM-dev] Splitting the planet into thousands of pieces in one pass.

Scott Crosby scrosby at cs.rice.edu
Thu Dec 2 21:57:54 GMT 2010

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> I wanted to try this but it seems I have difficulties collecting the various
> dependencies. I got hold of the fastutils.jar but:
>
>    [javac]
> /home/fred/splitter/src/uk/me/parabola/splitter/DenseInt2ShortMap.java:5:
> package it.unimi.dsi.bits does not exist
>    [javac] import it.unimi.dsi.bits.Fast;

(For completness, I'm giving the full list of dependencies)

http://dsiutils.dsi.unimi.it/
http://fastutil.dsi.unimi.it/

Needed libraries are fastutils and dsiutils at the above URLs.

> Also, I ran protoc but it seems that it generated something invalid:
>
>    [javac] /home/fred/splitter/src/crosby/binary/Osmformat.java:183: boolean
> cannot be dereferenced
>    [javac]       return
> newBuilder().mergeDelimitedFrom(input).buildParsed();
>
> This is with Sun Java6 and protoc 2.2.0, proto

... and it looks like you need protobuf 2.3. From the protobuf changelog:

  * parseDelimitedFrom() and mergeDelimitedFrom() now detect EOF and return
    false/null instead of throwing an exception.

Scott