[OSM-dev] Relation display not working doesn't give any visible feedback

Wyo otto.wyss at orpatec.ch
Sat Dec 4 10:52:36 GMT 2010

Tom Hughes wrote:
> On 04/12/10 09:27, Wyo wrote:
>
>> The loading status display I asked for in the previous message isn't
>> enough, a text explaining the cause of the failure is also needed.
>
> Well if we knew the cause of the failure then we'd fix it and there
> wouldn't be a failure...

The cause is simple, it times out after 30s most probably because of overload.
At least that's the limit on XAPI. Well even if you can fix it now you can't
prevent any future failures. It's essential to inform the user in such cases.

> Does your control include a telepathy module or something?

Unfortunately not, alas I'll immediately integrate it if you tell me how ;-)

IMO it should be possible to set a event "request failure" or "request success"
whenever a server request ends. Then it would be possible to trigger a control
allowing to show a nice text to the user. The control could have an option "also
show success" so web designer could choose between showing nothing/failure/anything.

Wyo