[OSM-dev] API/XAPI caching proxy server

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Dec 15 19:10:28 GMT 2010

Hi,

On 12/15/10 19:54, Wyo wrote:
> Just tell me, how many people, who don't get paid for the work, have set
> up their own XAPI server? A handful or a dozens, wordwide? Sorry forgive
> me my harsh words, yet the current procedure to set up an XAPI server is
> useless. For most interested people this is simply out of reach.

There are many things I am interested in but which are out of reach for
me. I guess I'll either have to work on bringing them within reach, or
I'll have to live with them being out of reach.

Sure it's a nice thing to be able to download a data set of all pizza
joints in Spain with one simple command, but time and money has to be
invested to make it possible - money to buy servers, time to install and
maintain servers, time to write and maintain the software.

If I were an OSM admin, and I'm not, I'd divert resources away from
non-essential services like that and into more power for people actually
editing our data any time.

If there are so many people who would like to have a well-working XAPI
server or similar, let them get together, find a sponsor (that may also
be some university that allows the group to use a server there), write
the required software and just do it. They don't need support from OSM,
OSMF, OSM Admins or anyone to get it done.

If this hasn't happened until now, then that's a clear sign that there
is not enough interest or not enough willingness to invest time and
money in this.

Sitting there any saying "I think OSM should make my life easier" isn't
going to get anything accomplished.

Bye
Frederik