[OSM-dev] Fwd: Script to extract bbox from history planet

Mitja Kleider mitja at kleider.name
Thu Dec 16 10:34:51 GMT 2010

On Thu, 16 Dec 2010 10:13:42 +0100, Stefan de Konink <stefan at konink.de>
wrote:
> Op 16-12-10 09:22, Frederik Ramm schreef:
>> If someone feels like (a) re-implementing this in C
>
> I think Mitja did this in the GSoC program this summer (the cutout
> thing). It would be valuable to figure out a way to do 'proper' full
> ways and relations in a low memory setting, but probably I/O itself is
> always an issue too.

I did not modify the parser to read history files yet.
The most simple cutout in my case was to remove nodes not within the
bbox. If it is done while parsing OSM XML/pbf, it will even reduce I/O.
Filtering arbitrary geometries adds a high CPU load of course.

I am still not sure whether it is better to clip the bbox or also keep
parts outside the bbox of intersecting ways. Until now I decided for the
first option, because it is easier to implement.

Mitja