[OSM-dev] API/XAPI caching proxy server

Wyo otto.wyss at orpatec.ch
Thu Dec 16 19:03:04 GMT 2010

Tom Hughes wrote:
>> at http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=49.55544&lon=5.09523&zoom=17,
>> one shift of the map and I hit the "Couldn't load map".
>
> It looks (based on the IP your mail was sent from) like you have been
> rate limited.

How long does this persist?

> I'm not sure what sort of mapping you're doing but it does look like you
> were fetching a lot of data - there seems to be a new request every few
> seconds.

I'm mapping canals, which quite often are just a very long straigt line. Nodes
are sometimes serveral screens apart in z17, therfore you see several requests
within seconds. Yet most of these straigt parts are in rual areas, sometimes I
just have one way (this single canal) on the screen.

> Unfortunately due to some issues with Flash P2 isn't able to report
> errors very well at the moment, which is something we are working on fixing.

It seems the excess detection process doesn't coop well with my mapping. So what
do you suggest? Move slower or stop mapping? BTW whenever I hit this situation I
save my data. Such a save could be used as a detection that I'm really use the
data for mapping.

Wyo